Considering the garden is doing reasonably well, I decided earlier this week I’d show the progress I’ve made since mid January. Granted, most of the fruits of my labour are small or yet to sprout or be collected, but the difference is marked and I thought I may as well offer an update now and another when we have hens, the cabbages are huge and the bushes bearing berries.
So, this is what the garden looked like in mid January.
Both photos taken from the patio.
Frost on the ground, flowerbed a bit weedy, no signs of pretty or edible plants beyond the pots. Much work needed to be done!
The first step I took: turning the flower bed. For some reason it made me very proud.
The first batches of things I planted. The berry bushes are just sticks and the peppers and beans in the trays didn’t grow. The second batch of peppers and beans are doing nicely, though.
The first lot of seeds.
Now for the garden as it currently is. Firstly,the patio pots have been reorganized. There are flowers and bushes and herbs already in some. The two troughs have peas in them and the empty pot next-to them will have coriander. There are multiple flowers in that green pot, along with a solar-powered light, to guide us up when we get home late and to guide students back when they leave late. In the far background there’s a birdbath+table, a hanging bird table and a pallet for the birds to hide under and sit on.
Also, note the chicken coop and run. On the 26th there will be four re-homed ex-battery hens in there. I found it on Gumtree along with all the necessities for keeping hens (bedding, feed, anti-mite-spray, feeders, etc) and cleaned it, set it up and painted it myself. All in all, around £130, including petrol and the huge bucket of waterproof paint.
The path is lined with three battery-powered lights (with butterflies as dispersers, because), to light the way at night. I dug a new flower-bed. At Jon’s request, there is a strip of greenery left between the two beds and a grassy path leading to it. We will be putting a bench there and there are already solar-powered lights set in. For this photo I was standing on our compost-heap, near which I will dig another bed to plant pumpkins in (they like very rich soil).
The current batch of seedlings and seed pots. Lettuces, tomatoes, beans, beets, sunflowers, leeks, peppers, chilies, etc.
Some of the parsnips I planted in January seem to be taking (thin leafed shoots to the right of the daffodils).
New bed I dug. The little green things in the bottom left (near the border) are peas and beans. The big leafy things at the back are rhubarb. The rows of green are mystery bulbs. Not sure what they are, but looking forward to finding out! The slope in the back is where peppers, tomatoes, chilies and courgettes will be transplanted when they’re stronger. Not sure what’s going between the peas and beans and the mystery bulbs yet.
The flowery corner of the flowerbed. Sadly can’t find the photos of when the primulas and daffodils were at their best. We’ve had many visiting bees trying to nest there, so I may get a bee home for them.
Further up there are the berry bushes interspaced with sunflowers. See that leafy green thing in the mid-right? That’s a redcurrant. Most noticeable growth goes to the redcurrants and gooseberries. Award for least activity goes to the blackcurrants. Award for fussiest plant goes to the raspberries.
Those teeny-tiny things are seedlings from when I went crazy and just spread random seeds everywhere. I think they’re the forget-me-nots. Looking forward to seeing them come up.
Leaving good space between these, but may plant some annuals in-between. Two roses and a leafy bush. Want them to grow big and strong! 🙂
A quick sketch of the current plans for the garden. Still got much to do, but it will be lovely when it’s done. 🙂
Pretty much every bag of seeds cost from 0-99p, every bush and plant cost 99p-£1.50, all the lights cost 99p each and the coop cost £130 total, so it’s not like I’m going all out and spending hundreds on it, either. Maybe nearing £180 by now, but doing well.