Because however much I’m eating low-GI foods, there’s no way I’m going low carb with this appetite. :p And who doesn’t love a warm slice of bread and butter when the weather starts to turn cold? Just need to top it with some elderberry jam and pair it with a nice hot choc…
- 500g/17.5oz wholegrain flour
- 1.5tsp baking powder
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-1.5 cups of nuts and seeds (I used walnuts, brazils, sunflower seeds and pinenuts in equal porportions]
- 2 eggs
- water as needed
- 2tbsp honey (optional]
- seeds for topping (optional]
- mixing bowl and spoon
- loaf tin
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F.
- Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly together.
- Mash in the egg and honey.
- Slowly incorporate cold water until the mix is a batter.
- Pour into a cake tin. Top with seeds.
- Bake until a skewer comes out clean. Ours took 45min, but it depends on how deep your cake tin is, how heavy your flour and how runny your batter. Far more variable than other loaves I have made!
Serve with butter and either cold cuts or jam. Or both.
Bonus: the last scraps from the garden. ^^