Unsure what to call it. Not rice pudding as it was made with oat groats, but not porridge as it contained wholegrain oats. But it was nice.
Sort of fitting that an oats recipe goes up on Jon’s birthday. But I’m making a cake instead today. :p
For the oats.
- 2 cups oat groats
- 1 cup porridge oats
- milk to cover
- 1tbsp butter
- 1tbsp sugar
For the jam.
- 3 cups raspberries
- 10 plums
- 1 stem rhubarb
- 3 cups sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp nutmeg
- 1tsp paprika
- large pot and spoon
- chopping board and knife
- small pot and spoon
- Soak the oat groats in milk with sugar.
- Chop the plums and rhubarb and mix with the raspberries. Put on a low heat to cook down.
- Slowly heat the oat groats to a boil and allow to cook.
- Mix the porridge oats into the groats and stir as they soak the remaining milk. You want a little bit of excess liquid when you turn the heat off.
- Add the butter on top of the oats and set aside to finish cooking in its own heat.
- Once the fruit is soft, add the spices and sugar and simmer, continually stirring, until the jam is thick.
- Serve the oats with a dollop of jam.