We’re a big fan of cured meats in this house. But putting them in stews and sandwiches is not the only thing you can do with them. Cured meats make great additions to fried, broiled and sauteed dishes as well. Here is a simple risotto you can make with almost any cured meat.
- 1 cup dry rice
- 300g cured meat
- 1 cup chopped onions and cabbage
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 head of garlic
- 1tsp salt
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- 2tbsp olive oil
- chopping board and knife
- frying pan
- Chop the onions and cabbage finely.
- Add them to a frying pan and lightly cover with boiling water. Simmer until tender.
- As they simmer, chop the cured meat and garlic.
- Once the onions and cabbage are tender, add the meat and garlic.
- Once the garlic is soft, add the salt and smoked paprika and stir in the dry rice.
- Top up the water as needed, very gradually, until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the water.
- Drizzle with olive oil and stir in the spinach.
- Serve with grated cheese and/or garlic bread.