Jon is loving the “meat in bread” things I’m making. It is literally just a bread roll with meat and other fillings inside it. Here’s how to make one!
- 500g flour and raising agents
- 300g steak
- 200g butternut squash
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg
- 5tsp sugar
- 2tsp salt
- 2tsp pepper
- water as needed
- mixing bowl and fork or whisk
- greased, floured or nonstick baking tray
- Mix the flour, sugar, 1tsp salt, 1tsp pepper and egg together.
- Add water while mixing until a firm, smooth dough is formed.
- Leave to prove.
- Peel and prep the squash and onion.
- Chop the beef, squash and onion. Mix with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Divide the flour into quarters. Roll into small balls and gently pull to stretch out, like pizza dough.
- Place a quarter of the meat and veg into each disc. Fold the disk around it. Be sure to leave no holes.
- Bake at 160C for 1h 30min.
- Leave to cool thoroughly before serving.
It really is that simple! They make great festival food, great picnic food, great travel food and can be made smaller to create less messy sandwiches for small hands.